How to save money on shipping?
Making a decision to move your home to another place or country isn’t always an easy thing to do. In most cases, it can be stressful. It is even ranked as one of the most stressful events in one’s life. A lot of planning needs to be done and a lot of factors should be included in organizing the move. Relocating can be expensive, which can only add to the levels of stress. You are probably wondering what to do to decrease all the unnecessary expenses as much as you can. We will give you some tips and tricks on how to save money on shipping. This will help you a lot and will hopefully make your move be a good experience.
First things first
The most important part of the whole journey called- moving is good preparation. Making a detailed plan and preparing your to-do list are the first things that you should do in starting to organize your move. Doing the research is the key thing here. It can take a bit more of your time, but if you are well informed you will have a great advantage. Knowing all the possible things about moving and related costs will save you a lot of money.
Take control of your budget
Start with deciding how much money you can afford to spend on all the costs of relocation. This should be the path you should always stick to. It is not so easy to make your moving budget. It will take some of your free time and nerves trying to calculate all the costs. But in the end, you will be able to have the whole picture and to monitor your moving expenses. In that way you can see if you go over the budget limit, so you can take action according to the situation at hand.
Choosing reliable, professional and affordable moving company- all in one
Not every professional moving company is more expensive than an attempt to try moving by yourself. There are things that doing on your own can cost you a much more time, stress and money, than choosing a reliable company to do that for you. Reducing the costs of relocating is what we are looking for. Having your valuables safely relocated is equally important, and one has to agree with that.
You can save money on shipping by choosing an efficient and quick company. There are a few things that should be on your mind when hiring a moving company:
- Finding at least 3 different moving companies– In that way you will have an option to choose the one that is most appropriate for you.
- Compare moving quotes– Checking rates of the companies is essential for deciding which one to hire. Important thing is to get precise moving quotes, which will introduce you to the costs and for sure save your time and money.
- Background check– By doing the background check before booking, you will see how satisfied other people are with the services of that company. Read all customer reviews, a good price is nothing if the service is bad.
- Negotiation, one more way to save money on shipping– Depending on the time of the year that you choose for moving, you can get great discounts from moving companies. You will have up to 30% lower prices for some services, for example, if you are moving during the winter time. Some of them are offering free packing materials which will generate significant savings on shipping.
- Insurance of goods– When moving valuable things, having an insurance policy is a requirement. Ask for mover’s liability for loss or damage when choosing your company. In some cases, it can be limited and according to the US Department of Transportation’s Federal Motor Safety Administration is around $0.60 per pound, per item. Some moving companies are giving the option of getting better coverage at lower prices.
Moving abroad is quite different from moving within the country. For that kind of relocating, hiring professional international movers is necessary. Professional movers understand your concerns with the overseas move and have more experience to share. Some of them are providing packing services that are included in the price of shipping. Just search for them.
Tips for packing – a great way to save money on shipping
Packing your valuable things can be a challenging task, and you have two possibilities here. First one is to do it on your own, which will save your money. The second one is to hire professional packers. That will save your time and you will be sure that your fragile possessions will be safe, but that will cost you. However, you need to make sure to avoid fraudulent moving companies. If you decide to pack your own things, these few tips might be useful.
Boxes are an inevitable part of packing. They are also a part of the whole moving exercise where you can save the most money. The cheapest ways to find the boxes are:
- Ask your friends who recently moved to lend you theirs
- Bring them from your office
- Reuse the old ones that you have
- Collect them from big supermarkets, shopping malls, bookstores. They have shipments very often and boxes are usually in a very good shape.
- Wait for recycling or garbage day in your neighborhood
After finishing your move you can sell them to earn some extra money or give them to someone who is also planning to move.
The price of moving services depends on different factors such as distance, time of year, moving quotes etc. Amount of things that you want to relocate to your new home is probably the biggest factor. You need wisely to sort out possessions that you want to move so that you can decrease the costs of shipping. Selling things that you do not use anymore or you think you will not need, is a good option. You can do that online, or you can organize a garage sale. The other available option you have for getting rid of the things you do not need anymore is to give them to charity.
One more thing that you should not forget about is your bill of lading. Among other things, it gives the options for tracking your packed items, so you do not need to worry about them. With the tips that we gave you, not only that you can save money on shipping, you can also feel more relaxed and worry a bit less. Let the move begin!